Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
binninglexie
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Review of Fuji XE2 using 3rd party manual lenses
1 month ago

I already have and use a X100, which is great for travel, but missed the involvement and abiliity to concentrate on key details, especially for portrait photography.  I also alread had inherited a Zeiss 50mm 1.5 lens and a number of top-line Canon lenses. So I chose to commit exclusively to manual focus, and considered at length going to the new Leica M.  but this was far too expensive.  So in the end I chose the Fuji X E2 and purchased Canon adaptors and bought a new Voigtlander 75mm 1.8 lens to use with the Zeiss 50mm and using the Fuji X to M Mount adaptor.  Travelled in Europe over the last 3 months, and am blown away by the quality of the results. The Voigtlnder lens is simply outstnding. With practice, time to reach focus can be very quick.

As for critical comments:  the focus peaking I most used with the magnifying ability to critically focus was Ok, but the new Firmware 2.0 with colour contrast allows greater focussing discrimination. Iinitially bought the camera believing the split image focus aid would come closer in performnce to a Leica M, but it is all but useless except for photos of very high contrast lineally delineated subjects ( printed material, edges of buildings and so on).  The greatest further improvement would be to improve the split image operation.  The inner split image frame could be smaller, and have much greater contast between the two sides of the "split"-in which case it would come very close to the experience of a Leica rangefinder.

My overall view is that the Leica system will soon be superceded by such an innovation; and I would buy a further Fuji camera which was solely dedicated to "manual focus" aficiados. I think all dedicated auto focus lenses with dedicated motor--driven focus will quickly obsolesce; whereas true manual focus lenses like Leica and Zeiss will hold value and give pleasure over a far gretaer time frame, and amply reward the larger initail investment in them.

Brian Binning

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow