Have Sony 3N: Why Does E-PM2 Attract Me?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Have Sony 3N: Why Does E-PM2 Attract Me?
1 month ago

I have a Sony NEX-3N, I also (briefly) owned a Sony NEX-6 and previously owned a Sony NEX-C3. Prior to that, I owned the Olympus E-PL1 and E-PM1, and when the E-PM2 came out I was going to upgrade to it, but never did, as I got the Sony C3 for cheaper. Since then, I've built a bit of a system around it, adding the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS to the NEX-3N to go along with the 18-55.

For some reason, though, the E-PM2 continues to attract me.

Does that make any rational sense? It doesn't I'd say. Yet when I see the E-PM2 kit going for $200, as I have lately, for some reason I want to try it out. Rationally that probably makes no sense, it would make more sense to instead re-upgrade to the NEX-6 for the $200 difference. To have an E-PM2 frankly makes no sense because of the different lens mount, and also I do appreciate the built-in flash of the 3N (and 6 previously) if I'm doing fill-flash for portraits.

Maybe the E-PM2 attracts me as an "always with me" model as it's very compact, without the 14-42 lens dwarfing the body (whereas the Sony NEX lenses tend to dwarf the body, even the kit), where the E-PM2 would be the "always with me" model and the NEX-3N (or another NEX-6) would be the "best" model when I feel like "lugging" it, or maybe it's the out-of-camera JPEGs, or maybe it's just the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" sort of thing.

Then again, with an E-PM2 kit only costing $200, one could say "at that low of a price, why not try it and see how you like it?"

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

LRH

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-C3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow