Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W5JCK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
Smart Remote app 3.0 still sucks with iOS 7 devices
6 months ago

I was hoping the newly released Smart Remote 3.0 app would have squashed the bugs whn using it with iOS devices, but it is still the POS v. 2.x was. When you buy a $2000 camera you expect things like the Smart Remote 3.0 app to effing work, but I guess that's not how the minds at Sony work. I wonder if it works with Android devices? On my iPad mini Retina and iPhone 5 it is a clunky, error ridden POS.

And I also cannot get the Sony Playmemories to recognize the connection between my a7 and my Win 8.1 laptop or my Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks destop. It says both OSes are not yet supported. Really? Mavericks was released a year ago, and I think Win 8.1 nearly that long ago. I did get the 1.02 fiimware to run on Win 8.1, but it never would on Mac OS X 10.9.

I love my a7 so much I was thinking about getting the a6000 too for a replacement for my Canon 60D, but now I'm not so sure. Part of the allure is the ability to use iOS devices to remotely control my camera, but if they cannot get it working by version 3 then I doubt they ever will!

-- hide signature --

An astrophotography hobbyist and amateur radio instructor and examiner. Sony a7, Canon EOS 60D, and Canon Powershot G1 X. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackswinden/

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +10 more
Canon EOS 60D Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow