How much have micro 4/3 cameras improved for action shooting?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
danieladougan
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
How much have micro 4/3 cameras improved for action shooting?
4 months ago

I'm a hobbyist just starting to learn a little more serious photography. I've built a kit over the past few months, mostly with used equipment that is fully functional. But I've noticed some real focus accuracy problems, especially (but not just) with action.

I know micro 4/3 is not ideal for action shooting, but I only do it occasionally and I value the compactness and affordability of the system for everything else.

So here's what I currently have:

• Olympus Pen E-PL1 body
  • Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
  • Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4
  • Olympus 45mm f1.8
  • Olympus 40-150mm f4.0-5.6

I also have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V that I use as a spare "take it everywhere" camera. It's pretty decent for a point-and-shoot/bridge camera.

So anyway, I was wondering if upgrading to a more recent body (say the E-PL5) would make a real difference in the number of "keeper" shots I get. I'm not into pixel peeping, but I know when an image is ruined at ANY size by autofocus errors. I don't use the 14-42mm very often at all, but I use all of the other lenses frequently. The Oly 40-150 is the most prone to autofocus errors and the one I am most likely to use for shooting action due to the focal length.

I don't really feel like throwing down $1300 for the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 lens or the upcoming Olympus 45-150mm f2.8. Spending about the same amount of coin for an OM-D E-M1 doesn't sound too appealing either. But I did find someone selling his E-PL5 used for $260, plus I could sell off my E-PL1 to pay for part of the cost of upgrading.

Is this a good idea? Is it that significant of an upgrade to go from E-PL1 to E-PL5?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EVFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow