Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,117Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 Banding Issue...
In reply to Dick Whitman, 6 months ago

Dick Whitman wrote:

jimoyer wrote:

If you're buying your first DSLR, I would imagine that the D7100 will be a FAR better camera than you will be photographer for a VERY long time. (That's not in any way a negative comment toward you, but a positive comment toward the D7100).

I'm not sure I'd be buying anything right this minute. There's rumors of some new cameras coming out including a D7100 replacement and a D300s replacement. Best case, buy one of the new cameras. Worst case, pick up a D7100 at much less than you can now.

While I'd love to wait for something like the D7200, I'm actually going to Alaska in less than four weeks so I need to get a camera ASAP.

I've had 7100 since march last year, traveled Europe and take photos daily. I declare not having banding: I never push single exposure more than 2 stops (that CNX sliders would allow you anyway). If one has to push shot more than that, either bracket or learn repeat the shot.

But: do you need built in AF drive or you will be purchasing AFS lenses from start? How soon you will buy external flash to use off-camera or use using FP mode? Do you need two command dials (meaning using M mode  most of time)?

OK, there are few more major differences (like VF and so on), but if none of the thighs above means much to you now (and in a near future), you will be OK with 5300. 7100 is far better camera for someone needing those things (legacy glass, FP flash, command dials are few reasons why I chose it upgrading D80) but if none is really essential to YOU, the price difference should go towards better lens which will FOR SURE yield better results by THE SAME photographer.

Don't stay with kit lens, buy UWA, telephoto or fast (2.8) zoom instead.  And, enjoy it!

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow