A must have lens for all DX users

Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
iljitsch
Regular MemberPosts: 476Gear list
Like?
Re: I would not want this lens
In reply to brightcolours, 6 months ago

brightcolours wrote:

Bokeh complaints are usually overblown unless you like to shoot shallow depth of field portraits at night with small lights in the distant background.

You seem to not get what bokeh is. Bokeh is everything not in focus, and how it is rendered. It is not just about OOF highlight shapes.

My point is that for stuff that isn't an out of focus highlight, the quality of the lens' bokeh rendering is much less important than the bokeh connoisseurs let us believe. I did some test shots to prove my point, but between the light and available time not all of them show what I want to show. I used a 50 mm f/1.8 D, the 35 mm f/1.8 DX, the 28-80 D at 50 mm and the 70-300 VR and 70-210 D at 70 mm, all wide open, all cropped to a similar size.

In any event, this is a church tower from my window:

This is the same shot with focus on the side of the window. Note how weird things happen to lights that make up the clock, but the tower itself just gets blurry. That is the point I was trying to make.

Here is the lens of the hour, which IMO actually does better:

The zooms at 70 mm:

And last but not least, an old 28-80 kit lens from the turn of the century:

iljitsch's gear list:iljitsch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow