knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442
Like?
Re: Bob says ..
In reply to Sergey_Green, 6 months ago

Sergey_Green wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

If we throw out the higher resolution sensors and adjust for the many more tested combinations, the number is much smaller than 368, but the problem doesn't end there. The dxo lens score isn't equivalence based. For instance, the highest score for the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 on a 16mp Nikon body is 25 and the highest score for the Oly 12-40mm f/2.8 on a 16mp m43 body is 20. Looks like the Oly lens is inferior to the Nikkor by a significant margin, doesn't it? But look what happens when we set the respective dxo score maps at equivalent aperture settings:

That tells a rather different story than the basic score, doesn't it?

Try 24-105/4 Sigma, where f/5.6 on the Olympus lines up with f/11 on the Sigma. Sigma looks better.

You haven't defined which Canon body you're using, so I can't comment on the specific score map comparison you're offering above.  (It also looks like you're using a different score map for the Oly combo than I'm using.)

Apparently DXO has not measured the Sigma 24-105mm on a 16mp Nikon, so the closest apples-to-apples comparison available (resolution-wise) is to the Canon 6D. Despite the 4mp resolution "head start" we're giving the 6D+Sigma combo, the Oly combo holds up just fine here.

I must say, I feel a bit like I'm a guest at a seance and the message from the departed's spirit is getting garbled by the crackpot medium. Perhaps we should just wait until Bob returns to the living and let him respond directly?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow