Flat view
sylon
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
12-40 f2.8 vs current set of lenses
6 months ago

Given the choice between 12-40 f2.8 zoom and the following lenses

14mm f2.5, 17mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 with the 14-42 MKII kit zoom

What would you choose?  They are both roughly the same cost except one is a single lens and doesn't go all the way up to 45mm.  The primes/kit zoom doesn't do the 12mm wide end.

The reason I have the smaller primes like the 14 and 17 is because frequently I take my camera with a single small prime lens so I can slip it in a small bag or something.  I am seeing the 12-40mm zoom and freaking out about the size, I wont have the option to just carry a small camera when I want to.  But I guess the 12-40 will give me great quality through out the zoom range.  Weather sealing is not that important as I am not a pro photographer.

Either way, I will be keeping the 45-175mm zoom for telephoto which I rarely use but find handy as its really compact for the reach it gives.

sylon's gear list:sylon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow