ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelVadon
Contributing MemberPosts: 683
Like?
Canon EF 16-35mm F/4L IS USM Short-Take Review and Sample Images
6 months ago

Canon 16-35 F4 L IS vs Canon 24-70 2.8 II

The UPS driver arrived about an hour ago with the Canon 16-35 F/4L IS USM and I did a little bit of driving around taking a few sample photos.

All of these wide angle lenses are really tripod lenses. If you try to take a picture at F4 (17-40) or F2.8 (16-35) what you get are soft images in my opinion. You really need a narrower aperture to get that sharp photo. I found the best way to take photos with the non-IS 17-40 was using a tripod. However, not all locations, such as museums, will allow you to walk in with your tripod or monopod and start taking photos. So you are left with resting the body up against something. I found it especially difficult to get the pictures I wanted in Rome where it seemed any time I broke out the monopod someone came up to me to inform me I needed a permit.

Here is a good review of the non-IS 17-40 and 16-35 F2.8 II for reference:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0508/dw0508-1.html

So when this lens was announced I immediately pre-ordered it and sold my non-IS 17-40. It was a no brainer for me. Now I can get that narrower aperture without the need of a tripod offering more possibilities.

Here are a few sample images I took driving around town.  Please excuse any flaws in these photos.  These were just quick snapshots and I had to reduce them in size using JPEG compression to upload to the forum do to size limits.  I will have more pictures by the weekend of better quality.

MichaelVadon's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow