ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jaylist
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
What lens do I need OM-D E-M5 16MP
3 months ago

Hi all

New to photography and this site , always had top of the range $300+ Sony compacts but heading on a 6 National Park tour of the US next year so wanted to up my camera skills to take some great shots. I've obsessively (yeah I'm a super obsessive compulsive) read a lot of reviews on DPReview and other places and decided on the Olmypus OM-D E-M5 as my new 'grown up' camera (was going for the Sony NEX 6/7 but decided weatherproofing was important..)

I bought it second hand and it's coming fully loaded with the accessories like the Battery grip and battery and it comes with the Olympus ED 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 lens instead of the standard (yay!).

So my question. I want to take pictures of the sweeping expanse, e.g Yellowstone, Grand Canyon , nature shots etc. But also want to take close ups (my kids in various random pictures) , and also buildings etc. The odd night time star scene as well but thats a bonus.

Is the Olympus ED 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 any good at close up shots inc portraits. Should I look at another lens to make the most out of this investment like the Olympus M Zuiko Digital 45mm f1.8 ?

Caveat . I don't want to break the bank on lenses, nor do I want to carry round loads of them. I go on lots of hikes with the family so this needs to be a practical solution I can whip out and take shots in wherever we go.

IS the Olympus ED 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 + Olympus M Zuiko Digital 45mm f1.8 a really good mix of lenses. Can I get away with just the 14-150 for the time being till I learn the ropes?

Also amazing site and community. I've already spent far too much time reading the forum posts (and already read the DPR guide to the Olympus camera.

Jaylist's gear list:Jaylist's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow