Seeking advice: Nikon Coolpix A or Canon EOS M?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Shurato
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Verdict and mini-Review Re: Seeking advice: Nikon Coolpix A or Canon EOS M?
In reply to Shurato, 6 months ago

Shurato wrote:

Hi folks,

I thought posting this question in the DX forums since the "Nikon Coolpix A" sports a DX sensor and is thus aimed to the more enthusiast community found in the DX SLR forum I would guess-timate.

(...)
To my question, I came across a store having a clearance sale of some Nikon Coolpix A for around 440$. It got me quite inspired since from reading several user reviews and that one on DPreview this cam produces sharp results (apart from the mentioned vignetting) and excellent colour rendition in a compact body. Being a "high quality picture aficionado" myself this cam appeals to me also because of this no-frills look, and also being aware that it's a fixed lens cam at the same time, tempting me to explore this method of taking pictures. As a side note, I was also wondering what fixed lens (f/2.8 or brighter) for the EOS M would produce identical imagery results as the Coolpix A in terms of sharpness? Any expert advices are welcome.

Now eventually I went ahead and got the Coolpix A - and man, what a piece of nifty technique this is. It's truly pocketable, albeit a tad too big for a Jeans pocket of course, but it would fit pretty nicely in leg pockets as trekking pants have The fact that it sports an APS-C sensor and takes really good pictures with excellent colour rendition, good sharpness from corner to corner, minimal barrel distortion, makes it a winner to me. Shooting with a fixed lens is a first experience for me - and it's fun, adding to this "no-frills" property of this cam. It's just what your eyes see you take as a picture and done. Yet, at times having a small zoom would come in handy; if it was possible to have some kind of mini-zoom and yet keeping the same lens size when collapsed, i.e. something like 28-56mm (essentially a 2x zoom) it would come in very handy for doing some "basic framing" i.e. not needing to stand in the middle of the road when wanting to take a specific architecture photo Maybe in a next iteration? And plus if the battery would hold (significantly) more than around 220 shots, it'd be awesome.
Now for the clearance-sale price I got the cam for it's worth every penny. At the same time, if money was no issue, to me it'd be even worth the regular price of around 1000$, yet, I'm pretty aware that this definitively goes into the "enthusiast budgetary accounting" category.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow