Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SRose
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
x100s or x-t1?
5 months ago

I'm a fine art photographer--plants, art portraits, etc. I only do the occasional session. I enjoy macro immensely. I have a dslr and a handful of lenses, and when I use it I shoot manual, so I love having the control. But the bulk and weight of the system has me longing for something smaller that I can always have with me (though I do love the feel of the camera in my hands, I just don't reach for it as much as I'd like).  Photography is like air for me--I need to have a camera that's with me at all times.  If I could have one surgically attached to my face, I'd consider it.    I will create with whatever I have, and lately that's my phone.  It is so incredibly inadequate it's frustrating, but it has taught me a great deal, and I no longer feel tied to the idea that I need the same thing everyone else uses (read: Nikon or Canon dslr) to create my art.  I need whatever best suits my shooting style, and whatever I will always have with me.  I do very much prefer to edit on the go (read: on my phone or an ipad), as I have a busy lifestyle and that just fits right now. My ideal kit would be a small camera with professional level image quality, that could handle macro, and a few water drops, and that I could easily transfer files to a portable device to edit.

Fuji X has my attention, and I finally have enough saved up to get either the x100s or the xt1. I've been lusting after the xt1 for a while now, but I like that the x100s is complete as is. I love that the xt1 has wifi, a tilting lcd, and weather resistance, but I can't afford to get all the lenses I'd need yet. I would have to use an adapter to mount lenses I already have, in the hopes that I would find the image quality and portability of the camera so stellar I could sell my dslr system to fund the Fuji lenses I want/need.  Is the xt1 portable enough to always have with me?

The x100s seems even more easily portable, and frankly the fixed focal length on it is an excellent one for me. But it doesn't have weather resistance, or wifi, which is a downside, as I was looking forward to being able to use my iphone as a remote shutter release for self portraits. Do wifi cards work well?  I have never used one.  Knowing I could use a wifi card with the x100s to at least transfer images to my phone for editing would eliminate an issue with that camera for me.  I had read some reviews saying that anyone interested in macro work should forget about the x100s but deeper research seems to say that macro is just very soft wide open and that stopped down it's excellent. Is that an accurate assessment?  My thinking is that I would use the x100s for a bit, see if I love it, and potentially sell my dslr and gear to fund the purchase of the xt1...or if I don't love it enough and still want to have a dslr I'd sell my current gear to fund the Pentax k3.

Mostly, I need something now.  That's the appeal of the x100s over the xt1, but I'm wondering if the benefits of the xt1 over the x100s would be enough to be worth the compromise of using a manual lens for a while.

I would appreciate any answers you can offer.  Thank you!

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow