Confirmation of the new D800

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Confirmation of the new D800
In reply to frenchy01, 6 months ago

frenchy01 wrote:

Well, I have a friend (not a beginner) who just bought a new D800 and he is struggling with the AF (on all lenses he is using). Not sure all the issues are solved...

Fyi, he bought the D800 after he had one on a loaner for one month (because his other camera was in repair) and he was very pleased and enthusiastic over the performance (quality and AF). Seems there are still some good and some bad D800's...

Frenchie

That is an anecdote.  Says nothing about the D800 AF, which if he is experienced, he should be able to work successfully.  Perhaps he's adjusting to the high-res for the first time?

I always marvel at the guys who struggle with AF testing and AF tuning on a D800, yet never delved into this area on any of their previous cameras.  Then they come up with all kinds of unfactual conclusions because they've never done this kind of in-depth analysis before and don't have good technique from which to form those conclusions.  How about this, was your friend already familiar with AF fine tune and optimizing all his lenses on his previous cameras?  If he wasn't already an experienced user in this regard, personally I don't think his experience holds much weight for you to draw a conclusion.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow