a6000 besting a7 for lowlight street photography thanks to AF superiority?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Angrymagpie
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
a6000 besting a7 for lowlight street photography thanks to AF superiority?
4 weeks ago

Choosing between a6000 & a7,

I am interested in street photography, and the environment I'd like to document is usually very dark (little to no street light from time to time, streets are mostly illuminated by cars & lights from the buildings).

I know that a7 is FF so has a better low-light performance. But I've been reading about its relatively unimpressive AF ability in low light. This makes me wonder, comparing a7 + 35 f2.8 (or 55 f1.8, or even kit), would I be better off with a6000 + 35 f1.8 oss?

I am aware that AF limitation can be overcome with MF, but I haven't master such a skill yet and it would be pity if I keep missing shots due to poor lowlight AF performance.

To give you an idea about the type of environment I usually shoot in, here are two pics I just snapped with my RX100, jpeg unprocessed (scaled down), ISO3200, f1.8, 1/15, FL28mm

By the way, I wonder if either a6000 or a7 would allow me to snap photos in similar conditions at similar setting but with shutter speed at 1/400 upwards?

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow