Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JAFI
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Canon PowerShot S200
6 months ago

This almost retro model is a curiosity. It has the same (excellent but now comparatively low count 10.1 megapixel) image sensor as the older "semi-pro" PowerShot S95 but with a faster and wider angle lens plus an only one-version back version of the DIGIX processor of newer Canon cameras. I have owned an S95 for four years and been very happy with it. The CCD (i.e., non-CMOS) sensor the two models share has excellent low light capability and the combination renders images extremely well. The S200 is approaching the end of its model life and now being heavily discounted ($180 at Costco in Canada) and among the best semi-pro point-and-shoot available at that price. I am keeping my S95 which has RAW file handling and a few other creatures the S200 lacks. Don't be fooled by the pixel number - the very low "noise" images are very sharp showing that an oversize sensor with enlarged rather than more sensors can be more important than than the nominal numbers of dots. Like the S95, the S200 supports 720P not 1080P video but does so competently with smooth frame refresh rates. The stereo sound is also surprisingly good.

JAFI's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow