Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Tamron 24-70 vs Nikon 24-70
6 months ago

I had never liked the edges of my Nikon wide open and thought I'd give the Tamron a try. It's newer and has VC.

I returned the Tamron. Here's why. It was more uniform across the frame but didn't measure up to the Nikon in the center. However it was much better at the edges. My Nikon is pretty horrible at the edges wide open, I can even see some ghosting. To the point that I think there's something wrong with it but I sent it back for repair (and paid for it, not under warranty) but it wasn't improved and if anything was made worse.

But I'm keeping it for now. At 5.6 and even 4.0 it's gets pretty good at the edges and center is still better than the Tamron. At higher f-stops they are pretty even.

I carry around primes mostly but the flexibility is nice on the zoom. I wish they'd release a new one. Or that Sigma would.

They glare is worse on the Tamron as well though it's not readily visible in these. I created a bunch of different exposures with f-stops across the range up to f22.

The focus point is the lower right of the basketball backboard. Taken from a tripod with exposure delay.

These are SOOC.

Mostly I won't be taking landscape shots at f2.8 so the edge softness isn't as much an issue as a practical matter. But the Nikon is still very soft at f3.3. I took a group shot of a swim team at f3.3 and was surprised at how bad it was outside the center. That's was the last straw that compelled me to try the Tamron.

The Tamron may be backfocusing here. I could tell it was when I took some closeups of a friends pet dog that missed the mark.

It felt fairly high quality, not as good as the Nikon and the focus ring on the end makes the camera out of balance when you reach out that far. It's a nice budget lens but I believe in this case you kind of get what you pay for.

Edit - can't zoom in as well like in LR on the BB goal but the difference is clear.   Also I forgot to mention the chromatic aberration is very noticeable across the top of the soccer goal crossbar with the Nikon, but is fixable in LR.

regards, David

Tamron at f2.8

Nikon at f2.8

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow