Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quiquae
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
RAW+JPEG workflow in Lightroom?
3 months ago

I usually shoot RAW+JPEG on my cameras (EOS 6D and 650D, and PowerShot S120). Under Aperture, the workflow was:

1. import the JPEGs only
  2. go through the JPEGs and flag those that look like they can benefit from RAW work (usually about 1/4 - 1/3 of my "keepers")
  3. import RAW only for the flagged files by using the "import matching RAW file" feature
  4. develop the RAW files
  5. sometimes I decide that OOC JPEG was good enough after all, in which case I use the "use JPEG/RAW as master" contextual menu to switch back to JPEG

This workflow allows me to take advantage of Canon's OOC JPEGs, saving a lot of time, and still lets me dive into RAW easily for a few killer shots. It also saves quite a bit of disk space because only a fraction of my final archive is in RAW format.

Is there any way to replicate this workflow under Lightroom? It seems like the "sidecar" feature does not allow you to switch masters, there is no "matching RAW" import feature, and the only way to compare RAW and JPEG within Lightroom is to import them separately and put them in stacks, which is really tedious.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple Aperture
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow