Sigma 30 and 19... which one to keep as a general purpose / portability lens ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,768Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30 and 19... which one to keep as a general purpose / portability lens ?
In reply to Amamba, 4 months ago

Amamba wrote:

So, after much trial & error, I finally settled on 18-105 as my walkabout lens.

I feel that I have too many lenses now. They don't burn a hole in my pocket, but I'd rather not have lenses I use little.

What I have in E-mount is Sony 18-105/4, 18-55, 50/1.8, Sigma 30 and Sigma 19. Plus, a few A-mount and manual lenses.

With the purchase of 18-105, the 18-55 will go. It's a black version and very good as long as the kit lenses go, but it's outclassed by 18-105 and the portability factor can be relegated to one of the primes.

I will not sell 50/1.8 as it's probably the best IQ lens on Sony E-mount, plus the only other lens that's as good in low light is a much more expensive and less sharp 35/1.8.

So, I now need to figure which of the Sigmas to keep. I don't think I need both.

30/2.8 is a tad sharper (not drastically) and a bit better for portraits, plus just a tiny bit smaller. However, too long for landscapes.

19/2.8 is good for walking around in a city, still usable for portraits (full body), not noticeably longer, less of a universal lens but I feel it would complement 50 better.

So, 18-105, 19 and 50 less 30 ?

What would you do ?

I have both. And sometimes I do wides, but mostly not. So for general purposes, such as street shooting, I would choose to keep the 30.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow