ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,843
Like?
Perfect Effects 8: sluggish behavior?!
3 months ago

Ahoi!

I got the free Perfect Effects 8 Premium license and just took a look at the program. One thing that hits me in the face is its sluggish behavior with both UI controls and applying effects?! Just unfolding/folding any of the preset sub-trees takes a full second, and that doesn't include building the previews. Applying effects can be seen drawing the image from upper left to lower right (in form of squares).

What makes me wonder is that the UI behavior is *not* exactly a problem of CPU load (or memory/disk), as PE doesn't even fully tax a single core of my Haswell 4770K i7 CPU. It doesn't matter whether my CPU is clocked at 800 mHz or 4400 mHz, still takes a full second to unfold a subtree on the left pane. This might be a problem of my system, though, as I do tinker with it a lot (it's my work) and may have made it sluggish by accident. So feedback from other PE users would be appreciated.

Applying effects looks to be slowed down by the fact that only a single CPU core seems to be used.

And WOW does it eat memory. It just went over 6 GB from just clicking through filters and presets, starting at 800 MB after opening a 16 MP JPG file. Even worse, the memory is not freed up even after using the RESET ALL menu command, you need to close and reopen PE.

So what is the general consensus and experience of users around here? The whole suite currently is offered at a reduced price and I like the idea of everything under one hood and being able to use it as stand-alone (thus being independent of what raw converter is used).

PS: Using the "Check for Updates" function crashes PE right away, but I don't think there is a more recent version available anyway.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow