ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vndrsmth
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100
6 months ago

Hey all,

I've been running around here doing as much research as possible before asking any questions. The wife and I are going to South Africa next week and we'll be there for 2 weeks. The wife and I are really trying to just enjoy the trip so I don't want to bring a ton of gear but want to have the right tool to take some great photos when we do see some memorable things.

I'd like to take as little gear as possible and wanted to get your opinions.

Trip Highlights:

• Dubai Markets, Dunes, City
  • Cape Town
  • Coastal Drive and Wineries
  • Cape of Good Hope
  • Shark Diving
  • Train Rides
  • Markets
  • Hiking
  • Safari Excursions (3 times daily for one week)

Here's what I have to work with:

• Sony NEX-6
  • Sony NEX-5N (Backup)
  • 8 Batteries and 3 Chargers
  • Carrying Case for both with lens storage
  • Sony RX10
  • Uses same batteries as my NEX
  • Sony RX100
  • Uses same batteries as my Sony Action Cam

NEX Lenses:

• 16mm (Pancake)
  • Fisheye
  • Ultrawide Convertor
  • 16-50mm (motorized standard with NEX-6)
  • 18-55mm (Standard with NEX-5N)
  • 55-210mm
  • 18-200mm

What I'm thinking about bringing:

• RX10
  • RX100
  • Couple of batteries/chargers

The Safari resort and tours we're on apparently get you well within what a 200mm or equivalent can manage from numerous galleries I've seen here and on flickr. E-Mounts don't come any larger and I don't have adequate time to test anything else.

In preparation, I've been testing the limits of my NEX6 with the SEL18200. It doesn't handle well and its really difficult to use well at full zoom. For fast moving objects, such as football players, focus becomes a big issue especially at full zoom. The RX10 delivers a much faster experience with less misses on fast moving objects while making packing much more convenient. My thought is this camera alone could cover the safari while the RX100 would do a lot of the city and landscape work since its pocketable.

Let me know what ya'll would recommend. Thanks for the help!

vndrsmth's gear list:vndrsmth's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow