Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pheanix
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Okay camera but...
2 months ago

First the bad.  Slow response time in waking up or tuning on. This is even with f/w v1.07.  Battery stamina isn't that great to begin with, but setting a longer timeout before sleep drains it more.  Noise is quite evident beginning at ISO400.  Big downer because sometimes to keep the shutter speed up, ISO needs to be increased.  Biggest downer - slideshow effect and lag just doesn't work for fast paced action.  Period.  These issues are inherent with SLT and because of my shooting style, are unnacceptable to me.  I did get lucky and pull off a few shots, but my fast action keeper rate was below that of my previously owned 6fps A700.

Now the good.  For everything else (other than low light w/o flash), this camera does very well.  I've taken some sharp, detailed macros shots with the A77 that comes close to the my Nikon.  In good light, still life pictures are full of color and detail.  Good glass really brings out the best for these types of shooting with the A77.  Speaking of good glass, there's a ton of Minolta G and F2 lenses out there to be had for reasonable prices.  Some of the older cheaper glass rivals the newer Sony glass IMO.  The camera has a good build quality and I like the grip (helps with the battery stamina and easy access to BOTH batteries). Overall, it's a good camera, but not for everyone.

-- hide signature --

'Shoot first (pictures that is); ask questions later'
Keith

pheanix's gear list:pheanix's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
pheanix's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow