Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andreas Stuebs
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Open or closed?
3 months ago

In the comments of Kodak Pixpro S-1 First Impressions the contributor Artpt made a salient comment, which I would throw open for discussion:

Artp wrote:

Apple has a more stable and controlled platform in exchange for limiting their hardware choices to Apple products...this is a strength and a weakness...and a matter of perspective, of course.

My point is where the real value is for the consumer in the camera industry.

Could Nikon (or Canon) endure...or even tolerate...another brand offering Nikon/Canon format compatible bodies to fit their current lens?

Would it be a better risk to manage an independent party to test this model? How have their current attempts managed? What has been the consensus on these and other forums? Consider the most passionate comments drive the sentiment in most industries....

Tough questions for a very entrenched culture in their current format....

There are different examples VHS vs Betamax comes to mind, Apple vs. IBM PC another. So is the openess of µ4/3 a strenght or a weakness. Is going alone only for the really strong - i.e. Canon and Nikon can afford not to be open because of their market presence, where does that leave Fujifilm, Samsung etc.

I am interested in your views.

Andreas Stuebs's gear list:Andreas Stuebs's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +11 more
Kodak Pixpro S-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow