Low priced lenses (primes) on a 5D3? Sacrilegious?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952Gear list
Like?
Low priced lenses (primes) on a 5D3? Sacrilegious?
4 months ago

I'm not one to remember user names on forums and what those users post but if you are, you might remember me posting a couple of threads about FF cameras over the last few months. I'm eager to get into FF and realize it's an eventual destination for me.

My first thread was whether I should go with a 70D or a 6D if I often shoot moving subjects (and often use peripheral AF points). I went with the 70D and LOVE IT. Next it was whether I'd get a good experience out of a used 5D, to introduce me to FF. Decided to pass. Then I was back to how would the 6D AF perform for moving subjects using the peripheral AF points.  The only moving subject images I saw were using the center AF point and compositionally, anything not in the center of the frame that was moving was cropped (kind of defeats the purpose, IMO - especially if I rarely use the center AF point so I'd ALWAYS be cropping). Now... a new situation...

I've sold off quite a few lenses and other stuff I wasn't using and slowly saved up some other money as well (gift cards, credit card points, etc.). Right now I have about $2350 to spend and break even but I don't mind adding a little money that isn't "saved" or recouped from other sales. Canonpricewatch.com is making available a 5D3 for $2700 through their group buy and that's an amount of money I can afford to sink into it ($350 of non-saved/non-recouped money). However, I don't have the $ to invest in really high end glass.

• There's no 24-70 II or 70-200 IS II in my near future.  As of now, they're just too expensive and probably too heavy for what I want to carry around.  I'd also be doing a LOT of lens switching I think and switching from one heavy zoom to another seems like a recipe for making me hate photography!
  • I'm not even sure one of the f/4 zooms would be in my future as 24-70 might be a bit restrictive, 70-200 is big and white (I hate white lenses for some reason), and the 24-105 isn't overly praised by many (though range-wise it would probably be great for me).
  • I doubt I will buy the 50L or 85L.  BIG.  Heavy.  Expensive.
  • I just sold the Sigma 35 Art and have no intention of buying another Sigma lens.

What I do have are the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, and EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon primes. I do intend to buy the 135 f/2 L in the future.

Here's another hesitation... video. I'm no videographer. Not even close. I LIKE AF in video and my 70D is fantastic with that. However, I know the 5D3 doesn't support AF in video so if I want to continue taking DSLR video (and I do enjoy the higher quality and shallow depth of field) I have to keep both cameras. If the 5D3 had DPAF, I'd very quickly sell the 70D. But I also know the price wouldn't be $2700 for the 5D3 if that were the case (I'd venture a guess that a new 5D camera with DPAF will be at least $3800 at launch and will be a LONG time before it hits a price this affordable). I don't know that this is such a big deal, but it means I'm also keeping a 55-250 (rarely use telephoto so the quality is okay with me), 60mm macro, and 15-85 lens to go with the 70D which is a substantial investment in a kit that I'm using mainly for video and also occasionally for situations where ultimate IQ isn't the priority (theme parks, day trips, etc.).  But that basically amounts to a $1k video camera and occasional use camera.  Doesn't make much financial sense... :-/

So...  I feel like I'm suffering from analysis paralysis and I could use some help.  Can y'all help talk me through this by throwing out some thoughts on the situation?  My main concern is, the lenses I list that I have (or will have in the case of the 135L), am I leaving anything on the table by using those instead of super high quality (read: expensive and big/heavy) lenses?  Should I just stick with crop and spend the money elsewhere?  Also, whenever Canon releases IS versions of the 50/85/135 primes, I will sell the old lenses and buy the new ones.  But who knows when that will be.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

QUOTE: "Another conclusion: After having read a few hundred instances of “fanboy” references during research for this article, it’s clear to me that the word has lost whatever potency it might once have had as an insult. It’s too much of a cliché, too inappropriately dismissive, too likely to be tossed in as an ad hominem attack by someone who shows signs of extreme fanboyism himself."
In other words - takes one to know one. And you lack creativity.
http://gizmodo.com/5540818/the-fascinating-origin-of-the-word-fanboy

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow