Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tjdean01
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
Decided on Fast Lens, but Now Unsure
5 months ago

Well, I had it all figured out how I'd get some nice background separation.  The $300 Samyang/Rokinon 85/1.4 and a Pentax PK Zhongyi focal reducer (because I have some nice PK lenses already) and speedboost the Rokinon it to 60mm f1.0 and I'd be in business.

BUT, according this thread (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53156458), which I'm not so sure I can trust, everything except Metabones is garbage. "Okay," I thought, "I'll buy the Zhongyi in PK and if it sucks I'll get the Metabones PK." BUT, Metabones doesn't make PK! So, to speedboost that Rokinon with Metabones, I'd have to a buy Nikon G adapter, and a) the Nikon G has some built in aperture thing that I don't want, b) I have no Nikon lenses, c) Nikon lenses cost more because they're still in use, d) they have an unwanted tripod mount. Why IS that aperture built into the adapter for Nikon? Does the tripod mount come off? Would it work on old Nikon lenses as well as newer ones like the Rokinon?

I have half the mind to just buy a $1200 used Sony A7 or a $900 Voigtlander 42/0.95 but that's more money. I'd be happy with the Sony because I can adapt ALL my lenses and get good blur, but I don't want the large viewfinder. And I'd be happy with the Voitlander, but then I'd still want something longer which means more money.

Focal reducers seem to be a cheap way to go; and removing mounts from old lenses and using them on there might work. For example, maybe I can buy the Metabones OM Speedbooster and buy the Pentax PK Rokinon 85/1.4 and switch the PK mount to OM, somehow. Suggestions on how to get what I'm looking for? Thanks.

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow