Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dcuttler
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
RX100M3 I am Underwhelmed with the EVF
5 months ago

I visited a local camera shop this afternoon, and had a chance to try the new RX100M3, and came away a bit underwhelmed with the EVF. I really wanted to like it, but I wear glasses, and when I tried to push in close enough to view the complete picture, the pull-out viewfinder would slide back in. It needs a latch. I have no interest in a camera that requires me to remove my glasses to use it as it would force me to use those dorky eyeglass straps. I also found the diopter adjustment to be very fiddly as well.

It also seems that Sony stayed with the default 1/30 sec shutter speed in lower light conditions which just sucks.

If I did not own an RX 100 of any vintage, or owned an RX100, I would consider the RX100M3 to be a good value. Being an owner of the M2 model, and also having a Clear Viewer, I will stick with it.

I had the opportunity to talk with the Sony rep a few weeks ago, and mentioned the lack of firmware updates, and the 1/30 sec shutter default. He said that Sony does have firmware updates, and I said that there has never been one for the RX100 series, and they only do it for the more expensive cameras, which has me believing that Sony considers the RX100 series as a point & shoot throwaway. He had very little to say about that, but he did take notes.

I am not a Sony basher, and will keep my RX100M2 for those times when I need a really good pocket camera, but for all other occasions I will use my Fuji X-E1. I am also considering buying a Sony WX350 for my wife to replace her indestructible Canon SD1100. We have two of them in the family, and you just cannot kill them!

If Sony had a latch on the OVF, and had done something about the low speed shutter default, I would have a very different opinion of the RX100M3. As it is, I went away feeling that I have not given up much by sticking with what I have.

dcuttler's gear list:dcuttler's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Sony RX100 II Sony Wx350 Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma SD1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony Wx350
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow