Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
F4SD3
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Hybrid Photography
4 months ago

I’ve thought about hybrid photography for many years, even bought and used a 4000 dpi scanner. A 4000 dpi scanner does not do justice to high quality film and the whole project just went on a back burner. Lately, I’ve noticed that labs are offering much better scan options than before including the 8000 dpi super scans. So I have been taking another look at hybrid photography.

In the past I would shoot slide film, look at the slides on the lightbox and choose which images to scan, which I did myself. I wasn’t happy with the results I was getting with the 4000 dpi scanner and when someone made me an offer for it …..Well, I don’t have it any more so I can’t do my own scanning. I’m not going to shuck out the bucks for a high end, state of the art, 8000 dpi scanner when I can get the scans done at a lab.

I don’t shoot much E-6 any more preferring Ektar 100. Ektar 100 requires prints or scans to see the images. Some labs offer jpeg scans at a reasonable price, but jpegs limit how much I can mess around with the image in the process of deciding whether or not to use an image, I would prefer TIFFs which I can get at various levels but I don’t want to pay the higher price to get the whole roll scanned. I would like to look at the images and pick which ones to send back to have scanned as high level TIFFs.

Back in the day, I was a DOF freak. I want to use really fast primes and shoot between F1.2 and F2.8. I expect that I will be doing a lot of bracketing and hence many of the frames will not be kept.

What I’m wondering is: How do those of you who use hybrid photography handle this situation?

Thanks,

Chris

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow