Parquet/herringbone pattern in sensor noise?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639Gear list
Like?
Parquet/herringbone pattern in sensor noise?
2 months ago

I posted over on the e-mount forum first and got no feedback.

As usual, I expected some response but I realize I never asked an actual question <SIGH> ... and to make matters worse, I obfuscated the issue by having a mismatched exposure in the test of the Sony a6000 vs. the Sony a850, which is really irrelevant.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53894270

...at any rate I'm going to blunder on:)  What I really want is a discussion of, what is to me, an unusual phenomenon. For a lack of better term, I see a vaguely 'Parquet' or 'herringbone' pattern in the granular noise on the a6000. I have never noticed it with older sensors and it essentially exists only minimally with my a850, and then it looks more like JPeg artifacting than anything else...even when no lossy compression is involved.

I have no idea about other current cameras, FF or otherwise. As I stated in the other tread, my first obvious...in my face... experience with this observable issue was with the m4/3s OM-D M1 and then it was in preparation for a large print where it didn't show in the print. For all I know this is strictly a recent ACR issue with certain cameras and not strictly a sensor issue... but that's what I would like to know.

Has anyone else experienced this and has an explanation or comment???

Bruce

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow