Flat view
Noah Truth
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Upgrading from m4/3 to FF, help me decide between the 6D and a99
4 months ago

My primary requirements:

1) Articulating screen

2) Good video quality (1080/60p is a plus)

3) Fast/accurate AF (in low light)

4) IQ

Coming from the m43 realm, I will be selling all of my lenses and building a collection from scratch. I do, however, have three vintage Nikkor lenses (non-AF) that I would like to use. I know the a99 probably has a clear advantage over the 6D w/ focus peaking.

Honestly, if the Canon had an articulating screen I would probably purchase the 6D with little hesitation. Although I really like the IBIS and focus peaking abilities of the a99.

As far as the EVF, I'm not really married to that technology. It's been nice to have but I definitely see why people prefer OVF.

My main concern with the a99 is video quality. I keep hearing about aliasing and rolling shutter issues with the Sony. Coming from Panasonic GH cameras, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to video and I really want a camera that can record decent quality. I feel like the a99 is good but other than 1080/60p, probably won't compare to a 6D with Magic Lantern. Am I correct in this assumption?

Lastly, can anyone comment on AF with third-party lenses? I don't plan on purchasing any Sony gear until I can afford the native Zeiss planar lenses. Until then, it will be mostly Sigma and Tamron. I realize you can't utilize all the AF functions w/ third party glass but is AF speed still fast and accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 6D Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow