4:1 Magnification Creepy Crawlies (8 photos)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,906
Like?
4:1 Magnification Creepy Crawlies (8 photos)
5 months ago

I've always been comfortable with life size macro shooting 1:1, and even 2:1 macro but beyond that is a lot harder... I would say these few 4:1 macro photos i got were about 4 times harder than the 2:1 i recently did and those are probably 4 times harder than everyday 1:1 macros. So you can imagine a lot of trying for a few photos.

The other issue is none of these are cropped, sure i could crop in a bit and show more detail however at 100% there was no micro contrast detail, diffraction killed it all. Unless you're focus stacking you need to stop down to get any DOF with such magnifications relative to the subject and display size. This means using the calculation of (1+Magnification)*Aperture with my setup at F16 and 4:1 the actual aperture is F80 so well inside the diffraction zone. The other issues is with F80 light gathering and such high magnification i still got a lot of motion blurred photos as the flash had to fire for longer periods of time to generate enough light on the subject. Anyhow resized down and sharpened and they tend to hide their flaws.

The setup was the K-3, Pentax F 100mm F2.8 set to 1:1 & F11 but mostly F16, 3 extension tubes and a Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S Teleconverter. The flash is a Metz 58AF-2 with a Gary Fong Lightsphere II Cloud Diffuser

Wolf Spider

I believe its an aphid

Red Spider Mite

Not sure the name of this spider

Body of a Daddy Long Legs Spider, i'm sure there is a proper name for it

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow