Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
draculr
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Canon to Nikon...
4 months ago

I'm close to switching from Canon to Nikon but not for the usual reasons (although they are a nice bonus!).

Here's the deal: I do wedding and portrait photography as well as non-wedding related video work. I've recently switch my cinema camera and to a blackmagic w/speedbooster so I've ended up with a Nikon mount.

No longer having lens consolidation is making me want to switch to Nikon Bodies for my photography work (with the knowledge that using Nikon lenses on future EF mount video cameras is possible but the reverse is not). Specifically, I don't want to have to maintain two sets of good 50mm and 85mm primes!

The move would be two 5d3's swapped out for two D800's... and the 85LII for the Nikon 85mm AF-S 1.4G! I might even end up with some money left in my pocket.

Having the greatly improved DR and resolution is a nice *big* bonus of course, especially as I like to keep my ISO as low as possible.

What's the point of this post you may ask? I just wanted some opinions before I make the big move! Should I reconsider? Will the Nikon 85mm 1.4G fill the huge hole in my heart the 85LII will leave behind? Will I miss the great AF system on the 5D3? Does Nikon have cooties?

Anything else I should know?

draculr's gear list:draculr's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow