Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pat Whittingham
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
SAL24F20Z compared to FE 24-70 f4 @ 24mm
1 month ago

I thought a few people might be interested in this very crude comparison of an A7r with the SAL24F20Z and LA-EA4 adaptor with the FE 24-70f4 zoom. I bought the 24-70 and initially borrowed the SAL24F20Z . I was so impressed with the sharpness of 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 that finding an autofocus prime in the 24mm range became a priority. The files were RAW but exported as JPEG files for viewing and to reduce file size.

Here is the 24-70 uncorrected

Uncorrected Sony FE2470Z

And here is the uncorrected SAL24F20Z image

Uncorrected SAL24F20Z lens

Finally here is the 24-70 zoom adjusted in LR with ACR 8.5 using the lens profile correction and CA removal button checked ... no other corrections.

24-70 with LR Lens Profile & CA adjustment

BTW, I did not feel the need to adjust the 24mm in LR for this comparo.

A few observations on the handling/build of the SAL24F20Z

Beautifully built and balances well with the LA-EA4. Weight not so much different from the 24-70 zoom (but much heavier than FE 35 or 55mm) ... both feel good on an A7r with RRS L bracket or battery grip

Autofocus is quick and reliable in normal lighting.

Frankly I like the flexibility and handling of the 24-70 and after LR correction, it is acceptable for much of my needs. However the merit of the SAL24F20Z is obvious from these images and for my more demanding landscape work, I think the 24mm prime will be a great compliment to the FE 35mm and 55mm.

The only negative to me is the in DMF mode, where you do not get automatic enlargement to aid in focus.The workaround is to assign a custom button and engage it manually. But the lens is so sharp the focus peaking is very effective without enlargement in good light. Of course there is no image stabilization but generally not a problem at 24mm.

I got tired of waiting for the FE1635Z to be officially announced with price and shipping date (though I expect it to be similar to the Nikon equivalent that I once owned).

As I had immediate need, I did buy the SAL24F20Z. I'll start to use it shortly. I got a very good deal on a like-new lens and had the LA-EA4 so the cost was not so different from the FE55. (not cheap but well worth it for the performance and build quality).

This posting is only to give some feedback to those considering this particular lens not to create an endless debate on alternatives.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +17 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow