Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,120Gear list
Like?
Problem with new high end "compacts"
2 months ago

(I am using "compact" loosely here as some are quite big, but that's what they are often called)

I have a couple of friends looking for higher end cameras. They think they want a DSLR, because that is what they associate with a high end camera after 30 years of seeing that form factor. I really think they'd be happier with cameras like the Canon G1X mk2, Panasonic FZ-1000, Sony RX100/10, etc. Those won't make them mess with expensive lenses (they will probably never buy) and have great image quality in a smaller size body. But when they see these cameras, they are turned off on first sight. The fact that these are smaller and have a fixed lens, means those who don't know better associate them with $200-400 smaller sensor cameras they've seen for the past decade. I can't get my friends to look at them seriously because they want a "real" camera.

I think these expensive "compacts" will be a tough sell, at least in the US market, for this reason. It's mostly people like us who are buying them, even though they'd likely be better than an entry DSLR for the masses.

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LX8New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow