Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
stromaroma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Turns out 2 of my 3 lenses
In reply to michaeladawson, 5 months ago

michaeladawson wrote:

It doesn't matter whether you leave the camera in FX mode and crop down to DX size in post or put the camera into DX mode when taking the shot. You will get the same DOF as DX.

The reason full frame gives you less DOF is because you are using a longer lens to give you the same field of view. Two photographers stand on the same spot to take a photo. Both shoot at f/1.8. The DX shooter uses a 35mm lens. The FX shooter has to use a 50mm lens to get the same scene area captured. The 50mm lens gives you less depth of field at the same distance as a 35mm lens.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Does that mean that if I put for example a 50mm FX lens on my DX camera, I am going to get a different image than if I put a 50mm DX lens on my DX camera? I was under the impression that all lens focal lengths are standardized for 35mm film "sensor" size. That's why a 300mm on a V1 gives way more reach than a 300mm on the D610. And that's why it won't matter whether you put a DX or FX 50mm lens on your DX D7000 camera; you have the same field of view in either case.

Therefore, I should be able to put my DX 35mm f/1.8 on the FX D610 camera and get a wider field of view than if I put it on my DX D7000 camera, albeit with some vignetting. Therefore, I should get the exact same field of view on my D610 if I put either the DX 35mm or FX 35mm lens on it. This I am pretty sure of. What I am not so sure about is if the DX lens now changes max f stop to say f/2.8, because now it has a wider field of view for its focal length. I am not sure how f stop is calculated, so this may be why I'd get the same depth of field as if I was using it on DX crop mode, because it is in fact becoming a slower lens?

-- hide signature --
 stromaroma's gear list:stromaroma's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow