ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
visionpoint
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Thoughts on Sony A7 w/ Zeiss 2.8/24-70 & LA-EA4 adapter or Zeiss FE 4/24-70
3 months ago

Hey guys.

I own the A7 and am looking at both the Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 and the newly released FE 24-70 f/4. The primary use I'm going to give to whichever of these two lenses I end up buying is weddings, events, portraits, and even landscapes.

I already own the Zeiss FE 1.8/55 (boy what a lens!) and it's the only one I currently have. I've been using it for portrait shoots mainly, and now for events and weddings I'm looking for a more versatile Zeiss in the 24-70mm range that also allows me to get some great portrait shots and solid wide-angle landscapes from time to time.

The Zeiss FE 4/24-70 has gotten some good reviews, but not stellar (soft in corners, could be sharper, could be faster, etc.), while the f/2.8 A-mount variant seems to be on a league of its own from what I've read and seen. Personally, while it's true that it weighs 2.1 pounds as opposed to 0.93 pounds in the f/4 model and it's bigger, I'm not concerned about those two factors. It's also $700 dollars more expensive, and that would be more of a concern there -- but the image quality and overall quality of this glass are both superb, in my opinion.

Now that you guys know what I'm going to be using either of these two lenses for, and that both weight and size are not issues for me, what would you recommend? Do any of you have the A7/R with the 2.8/24-70 and LA-EA4 adapter? Any particular loss or anything I should be aware of by having this combo? Any of you guys using the FE 4/24-70 for events / portraits / landscapes - what are your impressions?

Thanks for your opinions in advance. I'll appreciate any thoughts I can get on this matter.

visionpoint's gear list:visionpoint's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow