ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pubserv
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
A6000 Animals & Ethical Question
4 months ago

Hi!

Here are some macros and bird shots from Central Park NYC today. An encounter with another park goer while shooting has led me to ask an ethical question about wildlife photography at the bottom of this post. But first, the pix!

The insect macros were shot with 55-210 and Raynox 150 adapter. I illuminated with Minolta 5600HS(D). I think the combo worked well on small bugs stopped down past f20 with a focal length around 150. C&C requested, as well as insect IDs please (some of these I've never seen before!).

Dragonfly and Night Heron Pix are with 55-210 and DH1748 1.7x adapter.

Ok, here's the ethical question: I stalked the below night heron for about 20 mins until I could get very close and shoot the heck out of it. It was very compliant and stayed close to me for a while. I then wanted a bif, so I changed settings and made a sudden (though not threatening) movement. It flew off (though I missed the shot). I then followed it, and it flew again. I was set to follow again, and another park goer approached and asked if I would just leave the bird to graze (of course, this woman said nothing to the guys with fishing poles who were there to maim fish they knew weren't even edible).

Now, I'm from the Bronx; when a stranger tells us what to do, we traditionally respond by flipping an entirely different kind of bird, and I don't mean a great blue heron.  Still, I was done for the day, so I just said, "ok" and packed up. But this got me thinking. Is it ethical for photographers to stalk animals and cause them unnecessary stress to get a photo? I throw myself at the mercy of this jury of my peers.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow