My review: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
Re: Meaningful comparison: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df
In reply to akin_t, 6 months ago

akin_t wrote:

Lol, you guys are talking as if the only difference between the X-T1 and Nikon Df is size.

Nikon Df is overpriced nonsense. If I want a full frame camera I'd just go for the D610 or the Canon 5D Mk III.

I don't like the price of the DF, but this thread isn't really about price, it's been about size until now. That is where Nikon have blown it time and time again, making massive cameras, that, every generation have been getting bigger.

They need to fix that.

If we start on price, though, there are areas where the X-T1 is built poorly next to dSLR cameras in the same price range. The Df is expensive. It is Nikon's attempt to make a brand icon. They no longer have the brand to do that. Fujifilm need to be careful to not ruin their brand. Making something that your customers think of 'expensive' means that you have a brand that isn't able to support 'expensive' models.

Nikon have made cheap cameras and lenses for so long that their image has become cheap. The Df didn't float. I hope Fujifilm don't give in too much and gain that image.

The X-Pro 1 and X-T1 have pretty decent metal skeletons, but the small things: card flaps, usb doors, the half-metal, half-plastic seam along the camera plate (X-Pro 1), batteries that can be inserted the wrong way in, drive/metering dials that change with a push of the ISO/exposure dials, etc., show that Fujifilm aren't worried about the details. Those things add up. If they can fix those and make a brand that supports the long run rather than playing to catch up with the market, they will have a brand that can support true premium products and even 'expensive' products that their customers will lust after.

That's key.

Japanese companies are struggling primarily because the love affair with cheap/fast is now dying. It exists in the low end and always will and that the market to which Japanese camera companies have catered to for decades. But it no longer sustains a company.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow