Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
stromaroma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Turns out 2 of my 3 lenses
In reply to Terry Geig, 3 months ago

Terry Geig wrote:

are FX! I had no idea. So that's when I decided to go with the 610. Every aspect of this camera waaay outshines my old D2X...

Yeah me too. My reservations with FX were the size, weight, cost, and bigger lenses. But a bunch of my lenses already are FX... so the D610 just made sense. Seems Nikon's strategy worked!

Regarding the suggestion to trade the D300 and D7000 in for a D7100, I need the large buffer of the D300 for wildlife shooting. But maybe if this D9300 ever comes out and I find some money I may do that. I've been waiting 5 years for it now. I think we'll all have a party if it ever comes out.

I can't believe that putting my f/1.8 DX lens on an FX camera and shooting in FX mode is not going to get me the same DOF as a real FX lens. That defies all logic. All I then have to do is a bit of cropping in PP and voila I have the nice bokeh. Sure it's more work but I can set up a batch process. Or does the lens become say an f/2.8 on FX? Here is an example of the vignetting I'm getting.

Anyways, I'll probably get a mid range FX lens, I was just interested in how my DX35 f/1.8 would perform. The Tamron 24-70 seems to get great reviews and is significantly cheaper than the Nikon version. Or maybe just a cheaper Nikon FX prime as suggested before.

I am frequently encountering this 1/4000 limitation. I guess I just won't be able to shoot at f/1.8 outside... true this is a white dog, but lots of subjects are white, especially the sky. And I had this problem with the brown dog too. And this shot was underexposed even! I'm not interested in playing around with ND filters on and off in the field when I'm paddling down a river or riding my bike. My CNX2 won't take the NEF files yet, have to upgrade, so I just converted it to jpeg in the free Faststone image viewer and then brightened it up in CNX2 as a jpeg afterwards.

You will notice above how there hardly is any vignetting at f/1.8. And here is a shot at f/4 with my 300 f/4 AF-S and popup flash. Too bad that isn't a very useful focal length for wildlife, the combo with the D610 is really nice. Only works on dogs across the living room though... not grizzlies far away.

-- hide signature --
 stromaroma's gear list:stromaroma's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow