Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 11,582Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
In reply to Roy LaFaver, 11 months ago

Roy LaFaver wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Roy LaFaver wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

I never thought I'd say this, but I may get into FX.

Interesting way of phrasing this.

Is this partially because back in the day, Nikon brainwashed its customers into thinking DX was good enough for general photography? Before I purchased my first (D)SLR in 2003, my research (reading stuff and opinions on the internet) found two divergent viewpoints on sensor size from the Canon and Nikon companies and their users. Canon already had the only FF camera on the market with indications that an affordable version would be forthcoming (which came 2 years later) while the general opinion here was that Nikon would not be offering FX and the general concensus "who needed FF anyway". I decided on Canon because I wanted to eventually be shooting with a camera with the original 35mm format (for some of the very reasons you state here and more) and there was little hope in 2003 of Nikon going to FF in their DSLRs (when Nikon and its users caved 4-5 years later).

How do you extrapolate this from that?

I think it is pretty self-evident if your first language is English. Troll elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Not trolling. The OP expressed surprise he is considering FX.

And I asked him if his surprise was the result of Nikon's past position on sensor size. Are you denying this history?

Besides, I asked him a question. I am waiting on his reply if he chooses to answer. His surprise may be the result of some other thing and that will be absolutely fine with me.

I assume he has been happy with DX and did not think he would ever want anything different.

Exactly what I assume although I'd like to know why. I presented one possible reason.

You chose to grab an opportunity out of the blue to go off on Nikon, past and present.

Listen, to a head up the backside fanboy, I can see where my comments might irritate such a person. Believe it or not, there are folks on these boards who want to take a more balanced view, are willing to see the good from every brand, and the bad, and make gear choices rationally.

I notice that for serious stuff you have Nikon. If there has been brainwashing, and if people are susceptible, you might consider that you have a $3500 Canon with old sensor technology that cannot match IQ of a camera you say is worth only $250. Ironic, to say the least.

It may be old but if it is still good, then it's still good. By the way, I paid $2300 for the 5D3 and $1200 for the 6D, both refurbed. So, I got 2 FF cameras for $3500.

So who is the troll here?

Well, here's how I came to this conclusion about you. Your response was directly disrespectful for no good reason.

Your alias is only 2 months old on DPR, therefore:

1.) If the alias is legit, then you haven't been around since 2003 to know the history, so why are you even in the middle of this? If you know something about the history of DSLRs at Nikon, state it, educate me. Otherwise, my assumption, trolling.

2.) OTOH, if this alias is your 2nd or 3rd alias on DPR, then that's clearly against rules - because multiple aliases are trolling devices.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

 Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Pentax 645Z +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow