Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,128Gear list
Like?
Superzoom design
5 months ago

Sony had a lot of buzz with their RX10 and Panasonic later followed up with their FZ1000.

Nikon and Canon only seem interested in what each other are doing - which doesnt appear to be much, other than some silly rumours that have died down. ie Canon SX60 with 100x zoom and Nikon P700 with 1" sensor in a 1.3kg body, 24-2000mm f/3.5 – 8.5 - which sounds very specific to be a rumour.

Both have novelty value. Both are probably not that practical, even though they sound like fun.

The FZ1000 seems perfect for those who dont care much about zoom.  But for sport events and wildlife, it probably falls short.  Great for almost everything else though.

So shouldnt there be something in between?  Or is 1" the minimum sensor size that gets people excited?  Is that what the manufacturers think?  No consideration for anything smaller?

A 1/1.7" sensor is capable of pretty good output at ISO 1600 and usable at 3200.  Even better if a 2/3" sensor could be used for slightly cleaner output.

My suggestion for the next superzoom:

22-880mm (40x)  f/2.8-f/4.5 with 1/1.7" 18MP sensor, high quality sharp lens throughout, in a body of around 700g and cost around $799. Include usual stuff like 1080p60 video, high res evf and lcd, macro/telemacro, hotshoe, gps, wifi, filter thread, raw.

I think this would cover most shooting requirements.  I know birders would be wanting a lot more zoom. Perhaps the camera can come threaded to fit a 1.7x or 2x TC.

What does everyone think?

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax Optio P70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow