Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,767Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
In reply to stromaroma, 4 months ago

stromaroma wrote:

I got a body-only D610 yesterday. This is a lot of fun! I'll try to post some photos. I love it with the DX 35 f/1.8. It is sharp even wide open. The vignetting is there but not too obtrusive most of the time. The other thing is that I could crop to a different aspect ratio afterwards in PP and still be able to get edge to edge coverage, from either top to bottom or left to right, but not both. Also I could crop 4:3 and because the vignetting doesn't go in too far from the corners I'd still get much more frame area than the automatic DX crop mode gives you. In other words, this little lens is bigger than a DX lens but smaller than an FX lens, most of the time.

I know, a 50 mm FX prime is pretty cheap... we'll see, but for now I like this little DX 35 f/1.8 on it.

I couldn't justify the 24-85. I'm sure it's a good walkaround lens but the purpose of getting into FX is primarily for DOF isolation (and high DR and ISO are a bonus). So for walkaround I'd just use DX, might as well use my 18-105 DX lens.

I've read this entire thread.  From your posts I can't tell if you understand what shooting DX on a full frame sensor means.  Above you talk about the reason for upgrading to FX is to get the shallow DOF.  Then you go on to talk about using DX crop mode.  That makes no sense at all.  If you shoot DX mode on an FX sensor you will get exactly the DOF that you got on your DX body.  In other words, no point to upgrading to FX.  You say the same thing in an earlier post where you talk about using your 35mm DX lens in DX mode.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow