Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
stromaroma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
In reply to stromaroma, 5 months ago

I got a body-only D610 yesterday. This is a lot of fun! I'll try to post some photos. I love it with the DX 35 f/1.8. It is sharp even wide open. The vignetting is there but not too obtrusive most of the time. The other thing is that I could crop to a different aspect ratio afterwards in PP and still be able to get edge to edge coverage, from either top to bottom or left to right, but not both. Also I could crop 4:3 and because the vignetting doesn't go in too far from the corners I'd still get much more frame area than the automatic DX crop mode gives you. In other words, this little lens is bigger than a DX lens but smaller than an FX lens, most of the time.

I know, a 50 mm FX prime is pretty cheap... we'll see, but for now I like this little DX 35 f/1.8 on it.

I couldn't justify the 24-85. I'm sure it's a good walkaround lens but the purpose of getting into FX is primarily for DOF isolation (and high DR and ISO are a bonus). So for walkaround I'd just use DX, might as well use my 18-105 DX lens.

For wide angle I'll have my D7000 with Sigma 10-20 which is great at "eleven". 11mm at f/11 gives nice sharp results. For longer focal length zoom I'll have my 70-300 VR on the V1 which isn't the greatest lens ever but probably good enough. If I want some longer length subject isolation I can put my 300 f/4 on the D610.

And just now I encountered the 1/4000 limitation. I was shooting my dog on the sundeck in the sun (brown dog on brown deck) and to get some subject isolation I opened it up and I hit the limit even at ISO 100. I'd rather not get a ND filter as more glass in the way just degrades IQ. Oh well, it wasn't too overexposed.

When shooting wildlife I always try to shoot at least 1/1000 to freeze action. This is with the 300 f/4 AF-S and because of this I don't mind not having VR on that lens. Actually it makes it cheaper and smaller and lighter... also wildlife shooting will be with the D300 anyways.

Yes it's always so hard to make these choices. There just isn't the perfect complement of gear out there.

-- hide signature --
 stromaroma's gear list:stromaroma's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow