Frustrated with BSOD - Time for a new PC?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NikonMike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Frustrated with BSOD - Time for a new PC?
2 months ago

I'm using a four year old Dell XPS 8100 that is giving me fits.  I'm about ready to throw in the towel and invest in a new desktop. My computer has been freezing up constantly with the blue screen over and over again and I've tried everything from reseating the RAM modules and the video card, updating drivers, testing RAM, checking the hard drive for errors, disabling start-up programs, analyzing & researching the stop codes, etc, etc. yet I can't get it fixed.  The only time it does not seem to freeze up is when it is operating in regular safe mode (w/o networking).  It has gotten to the point where it's no fun working on pictures when you have to restart the computer every 5 minutes.  I've even taken it to a computer shop and they kept it for several days but couldn't diagnose the problem.  Thankfully they did not charge me.  I have no idea whether it can be the motherboard, the hard drive, the video card, or something else - I don't want to just start replacing parts and wasting money.

Anyhow, I have a few questions with regards to what I should get in a new PC.  I don't want to spend a fortune, $1,000 maximum for the desktop.  I use a Dell U2413 monitor, and am planning to get either a Nikon D610 or D800 soon which will mean larger files than I have now with my D300s.  I mostly use Lightroom 5 and Photomatix for processing, a little Photoshop Elements.  I may even want to get into some minor video editing with Premiere Elements.  What processor brand and speed should I go for?  How much RAM (12 or 16)?   Do you really need a separate graphics card for photo processing? (I have the NVIDIA GeForce GT220 now, but I don't do gaming or anything like that on my computer - I would rather just go with integrated graphics next time if I can).

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.  And if you have any other ideas on how I might be able to fix my current PC, that would be great to.   But I'm no computer expert so keep it simple!

-- hide signature --

Mike

NikonMike's gear list:NikonMike's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
Nikon D300S Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow