RX100 M3 first observations (vs RX100 M1)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter v.d Werf
Contributing MemberPosts: 658
Like?
RX100 M3 first observations (vs RX100 M1)
3 months ago

I picked up my RX100M3 today and would like to share my first observations after having played around with it. Previous model was a RX100 next to a DSLR.

Keep in mind that I haven't check all new menu settings in depth, so maybe some observations in the dislikes are due to some unfamiliarity.

I have yet to check things like to stabilization improvements and I'll try to make some comparison shots while I still have the M1.

I won't do pixel peeping comparisons as in my opinion the image quality nowadays is allready beyond the point where that is relevant.

Spoiler alert: I loved the RX100 but this is a a solid upgrade. Period. The Likes far outweight the Dislikes.

1-Basics: 24mm, better video quality, 2.8 instead of f4 at 70mm, WIFI
2-Stills and Movies reviewing finally combined in 1 view!!!!!! I hadn't seen this in any other comments but a major plus in the user friendly department.
3-Auto ISO now available in Manual (Still and Movie)
4-Separate button for the flash popup, perfect.
5-Zoom stepping
6-The M3 isn't that really bigger then the M1. Expected it to be heavier/bigger but it's not really noticable. Still fits (a bit tighter) in my flexible case. Won't fit in my underwater house anymore I'm afraid..
7-Tiltable display
8-My Richard Franiec grip still fits:)
9-Extra "C" button and the option to appoint manual/auto focus switch to this . You could allready do this on the M1 and assign it to the eg left joystick button, but that was not convenient in still mode.
10-Same batteries. Often overlooked, but as I allready have 2 spares and a charger this saves money.
11-5 frames, max -3/+3 bracketing!

Dislikes:
1-Tripod mount is still next to the battery/card compartment. This means I have to unscrew my quick release plate when a battery is empty. Which went quickly for the RX100 during video, I expect the same for the M3.
2-No lock for the tiltable display. There is a little bit of movement possible where the lower part of the display touches the camera body when it's not tilted. Not much, but for a camera that is meant to go into pockets I expect this to become the weak spot in an otherwise built-like-a-tank body. A simple slider I would have expected.
3-I'd like an option to lock the White Balance (switch between auto/manual)
4-I'd like an option to quickly switch between the movie settings (using 25p/100p) (although having this as the last entered menu option is a workaround)
5-no visible guide for zoom stepping, why not just show 35mm equivalent on screen?
6-no auto ND in movie
7-I'd like to be able to reverse the aperture/shutter use of the control/zoom ring in manual mode.

Big dislikes:
1-Still no option for a minimum shutter speed in auto iso settings. Ridiculous in my opinion for a camera of this class. Although auto iso in manual is a workaround, it makes it less friendly when other users also want to use the camera.

2-Unable to disable that you want to power down when folding in the electronic EVF. Which idiot Sony engineer was sleeping when testing this "feature"...? I guess the same one that previously sugested to split up the stills and movie reviewing.......

Peter

RX100 III Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow