My review: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
Re: A comparison for prime shooters...
In reply to Ray Sachs, 3 months ago

Ray Sachs wrote:

For those of us who generally shoot primes, the differences are not as great. Here an XT1 with the 35mm f1.4 next to an Olympus EM1 with the Pany 25mm f1.4, and a Nikon Df with a Nikon 50mm f1.8.

In fairness, the Panasonic 25mm is the largest m43 prime available on the site (the new 42mm f1.2 is considerably larger) - most m43 primes are a good deal smaller. The Nikon prime is relatively small, but there's a whole line of Nikon primes of about the same size, in addition to much larger premium versions. And the Fuji 35mm is a good bit smaller than the primes Fuji has developed since, so for premium lenses at different focal lengths, assume larger lenses (other than the 18 or 27, which are somewhat less premium).

The Df body is notably, but not overwhelmingly, heavier than the m43 and Fuji bodies - between about 200-300 grams more. But the lenses are right in the same range. My basic point is that if you're a prime shooter and you don't demand the best and fastest DSLR glass available (the 24mm f1.4 is a LOT larger), a full frame DSLR setup can still be a pretty comfortable carry. I had a loaner of the Df for about a month earlier this year and as long as I stuck to the smaller prime lenses (which are still quite good if not the best or fastest), I was very comfortable carrying it around. It was only when I played with a couple of pretty beefy lenses that the size and weight advantages of smaller format mirrorless became an issue.

But the files out of the Df (or the similar size D610, which shares the sensor of the RX1) are simply amazing. There are always tradeoffs, but the tradeoffs for prime shooters aren't nearly as great as for zoom and telephoto shooters...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

That is a huge lens for m43. At an equivalent of f/2,8 on FF, it's absolutely massive. Imagine an f2,8 50mm on FF. It would be tiny and inexpensive.

If Nikon would take a look at the current market, build a mirrorless F-mount camera, keep the body traditionally sized and built, plus make lenses that match up to mirrorless users' expectations: slower, smaller, they would have an unstoppable system.

Current 1,4 AFS F lenses for speed and when you don't mind bulk, 1,8 - 2,8 lenses for when you want to shoot sort of like we shoot in APS-C land, and slower if you want the ultimate in portability and are used to what they get in m43 land.

You'd have everything from hiking to portraiture covered in one system and the advantages of mirrorless over dSLR and FF would be nearly completely void.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow