True that DPP4 does not work with 5DII files?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,501Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon would not be dropping support
In reply to PhotoKhan, 6 months ago

PhotoKhan wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

if they maintained a Ver 3. You and I have different ideas of support. If this demarcation is actually intended going forward, it only means that Canon has decided to end the free giveaways (new features and controls) to folks who aren't paying for it. Another route: why not make DPP 4 available to 5D2 owners & etc. for a nominal fee of $29.99 or something like that? Put a little something something in the kitty.

PhotoKhan wrote:

...Why DPP 4.0 does not support more ancient CR2 files at launch has, maybe, more to do with the future than with the past.

New sensors from Canon are about to emerge. A recent call on CR points for this to be possible has early as the soon-to-be-released 7DII.

Every new interaction of the CR2 files are not exactly the same as the previous one, as proven by the need of new ACR releases by Adobe for each launch.

So, full backward full compatibility for DPP 4.0 would mobilize programing resources that may have been used to make it compatible with new coming sensors.

It might be more significant what actually already is in DPP4.0 without us being told so than what isn't, in spite of the poor communication.

In any case, for those of us with older cameras, it is just not logic to expect that Canon will be dropping support for older CR2 files in their own new software. It just does not make sense.

As for referral of those older cameras to a 3.14 update, I am sure it is only a stop gap.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Wow, you have even less (...or more, depending on perspective...) faith in Canon corporate guidance than I do

Proprietary brand software for cameras is not a product. It is a means to sell the product.

All major Android tweak and try to perfect the GUI and functionalities in their products running that OS. They don't "charge" for it. Part of the cost is included in the price of the final product, another part is written off as development/competitiveness costs.

Of course, and I was going to point this out to everyone in Timbukto's thread that DPP 4 is not free just as the included lens hoods in the L series lenses are not free.

I not saying Canon will support cameras as ancient as, say, the 300D with the "new" DPP (they will refer customers for the software that came with those cameras for RAW files handling, most probably) but I am pretty sure it will support the 5DII which is the reason for this thread.

I would also bet it won't take long.

PK

Ultimately, you may be right about the 5D2 specifically (though I think folks are not reading the verbiage correctly), but the point remains, Canon can't (and why should they?) support older cameras. If the 5D2 is on the bubble and gets into DPP4 later, so be it. If Canon sees these debates online and eventually decides to include all cameras, then you can thank the OP (and me) for stirring it up.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow