Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,179Gear list
Like?
Re: Meaningful comparison: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df
In reply to shigzeo ?, 4 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

OK - but if that's what you are trying to say, put equivalent lenses on the relevant cameras.

To your point, I am marginally more likely to carry a mirrorless camera in the week (for much of this week I have had an E-M1 in my bag). But today I have my Df with me, plus 24, 35, 58 and 85 mm primes. That collection isn't that heavy at all. It all fits into a Billingham Hadley Pro with room for some ties, pens and assorted work related gubbins. In fact the only one of those lenses which is heavy is the 24mm.

So why is that different from when I used to carry in the same bag, an X-Pro1 and assorted lenses.

I don't know which F stop primes you have on the Nikon. If they are the 1,4 lenses, there is currently no equivalent in the mirrorless world. And they are quite large. The 1,8 primes are excellent lenses, and have some equivalents in the mirrorless world, but only from Fujifilm: the 56/1,2, and are roughly the same size. Nikon lenses tend to be large for some reason. The new 35/1,8 is bigger than necessary, but a very nice lens.

My Ai/S lenses are all smaller to much smaller than their equivalents in Fujifilm's mount, but they lack AF.

The "D" lenses from Nikon are essentially the same glass as the Ai/S lenses but with AF. They're not as nicely built or as pretty and the AF isn't as fast as the higher end lenses, but they offer a pretty nice group of small primes if that's what you want. They all have aperture rings too, which I particularly like. The thing about a system like Nikon, which is so vast and has been around so long, is that you have options from high to low, large to small, excellent to sort of mediocre, in pretty much any focal length.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow