My review: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
Re: Meaningful comparison: Fuji X-T1 vs the Nikon Df
In reply to sgoldswo, 3 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

stuartgolden wrote:

Midwest wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

stuartgolden wrote:

Full frame this, SLR that. For me what it comes down to is what would you want to lug around all day around your neck.

For me - the left wins!

You still won't convince the OP, who likely gets winded from shuffling cards.

No need to get nasty.

Just saying I have carried think glass and now that there is a very decent quality system that is substantially lighter and has a VERY decent set of glass that is orders of magnitude lighter - I'm happy to thoughtlessly grab the fuji on any occasion.

The best camera quite frequently is only the one you have with you when the moment happens.

Frankly I do not think I am alone when you own Full Frame gear with great heavy glass optically wonderful lenses - that the bulk of talking a single big glass zoom often has people mentally saying "naw" and either leaving them at home, or grabbling a pocket camera in lieu of living with heavy gear.

I'm sure we can pixel peep and spend days arguing the virtues of full frame, big glass, etc - and we all know that the heavy kit will win MOST arguments MOST of the time.

Except the more subliminal - would you grab it every time you ran out the door.

Those of us who walk and are inspired daily - and live with our gear and glass around or necks - there comes a time when you begin to break down and decide to make those decisions about what to carry and how to limit the bulk. Some of us do indeed get older - develop bad backs, arthritis - etc. Even some whom become winded.

It's nice for those, to have substantially lighter options that also produce wonderful results. In fact - I suspect if this sort of gear was available and in my hands when I was 18 - I would have carried the gear a lot more and would have captured many more of those fleeting moments when the subject, light, and lens all happen to be in the right spot.

OK - but if that's what you are trying to say, put equivalent lenses on the relevant cameras.

To your point, I am marginally more likely to carry a mirrorless camera in the week (for much of this week I have had an E-M1 in my bag). But today I have my Df with me, plus 24, 35, 58 and 85 mm primes. That collection isn't that heavy at all. It all fits into a Billingham Hadley Pro with room for some ties, pens and assorted work related gubbins. In fact the only one of those lenses which is heavy is the 24mm.

So why is that different from when I used to carry in the same bag, an X-Pro1 and assorted lenses?

I don't know which F stop primes you have on the Nikon. If they are the 1,4 lenses, there is currently no equivalent in the mirrorless world. And they are quite large. The 1,8 primes are excellent lenses, and have some equivalents in the mirrorless world, but only from Fujifilm: the 56/1,2, and are roughly the same size. Nikon lenses tend to be large for some reason. The new 35/1,8 is bigger than necessary, but a very nice lens.

My Ai/S lenses are all smaller to much smaller than their equivalents in Fujifilm's mount, but they lack AF.

 shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow