How do I stop this washed out colourless look?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ZaneO
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?
How do I stop this washed out colourless look?
4 months ago

I took my shiny new Sony a6000 out for a walk today and snapped away...

I'm really quite new to photography, and I struggled to get the composition right on a couple of photos. I played with every setting I could think of, and just couldn't get the colours right.

I took the photo below around 30+ times with different settings, but couldn't 'get it'.

Wifey is wearing a white top and the sun reflecting off it was just screwing it all up. When i half-pressed, i would see a millisecond of 'correct' exposure through the evf, but then it would flick straight back to this washed out 'overexposed' look.  (What was going on here?!)

In the end, I 'cheated' and pre-focussed off to the left, and then moved the camera back to the frame I was after...

I took 20+ shots that looked like this... all with different iso / shutter speeds / metering modes / focus mode/area/settings / etc...

f5.0 / iso 400 / 1/500

This is more like what I was after:

f5.0 / iso 100 / 1/2000

So.. how do you take the shot im trying to get without having to 'cheat' ?

Hmmm...  I've just looked through all of these photos and here is a possible conclusion:

Maybe, this photo needed to be taken in full manual, setting aperture, iso and shutter speed.

I had the camera in Aperture Priority mode the whole time, and it seems when i locked the iso at 100, the camera just bumped the shutter speed down to make the same washed out photo it clearly wanted.

Perhaps if id changed to full manual and locked the aperture, iso, and shutter speed as per my 'better' composition, i would have had more joy?

Is that the answer?

ZaneO's gear list:ZaneO's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon EOS 1100D +4 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow