Canon 6D BIF is it capable enough?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
fpix
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D BIF is it capable enough?
In reply to TTMartin, 2 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

The biggest disadvantage of the 6D is the same as the 5D Mk III and the 1D X (hint it's not the focus system), it's the full frame sensor requires longer focal lengths than a crop sensor camera would.

The disadvantage crop sensor cameras have is they don't have as good of low light performance as full frame sensor cameras do.

Well, putting above 2 sentences in ballance - one may land on the fact that...

____ Cropping a 6D/5D3 image with a factor of 1,6 to reach perspective of an crop camera
____ like 7D she/he may get same image quality as with 7D.

I have done my homework before switching from 7D to 5D3 to check the above statement and, to my eyes, the 5D3 image was even better than the same scene shot with 7D. Comparison on monitor screen, looking at "fit screen", 50% and 100%; although the cropped 5D3 image had only some 8.6MP. Test repeated with several ISO values, same conclusion. I assume this test would have cvasi-similar results when comparing 6D as FF camera vs. 7D, 60D, 70D as crop camera.

The nice thing with FF cameras is that actually you may learn techniques to aproach the WL subject (which brings a lot of fun!) and thus you may not always need huge crops for the final photo. And so you get a nice IQ in the end. Anyhow, as far as I am concerned, and maybe other collegues may confirm, I came back home from field with better photos with 5D3 compared to what I had from 7D, using same old 300f/4L, sometimes with TC1.4xII.

-- hide signature --

Cristi@fpix.ro

fpix's gear list:fpix's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow