Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TaoMannaDon
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
More problems with my D600 and a question for you
4 months ago

I first posted about problems with my D600 (oil spots on the sensor) back in March 2013 (I think). Since then it has been repaired twice. Both times the repair sheet listed RPL Shutter Mechanism. I think that means they replaced the shutter mechanism both times. I also think that means the camera is still defective and it is likely to have oil spot problems again some time in the future.

Given that assumption I wrote the customer service manager a letter, detailing how important the camera is to me and what it means to me to continue to have problems with it. (I'm recovering from PTSD from my service in Vietnam, photography is an effective part of my therapy.) I asked them to trade my D600 for a new D610. I thought I had given good reason to consider my request.

It took a couple of days to compose the letter. I wanted to make certain I stuck to the facts and everything I said was clear. During those days I made one morning trip to a local park and took some photos. Some of the photos were shot at F32.

Those photos were splattered with spots.

The second repair had just been completed. I had only made a couple of photo walks since I got my camera back. I had used the same lens (Tamron 70-200 f2.8) for those walks. I put the lens on the camera while in my room. The outside of the lens does not move during zooming. So I was pretty sure nothing I did caused the spots.

This made me angry.

But I kept that anger out of my letter.

I included this new info in my letter. That may have been a mistake. I thought it bolstered my case for getting a replacement. They asked for sample jpg images. I had deleted the bad images already in frustration so I went outside, pointed at the bright blue sky and took four shots. They were loaded with spots, all in the same place on each photo. I uploaded them.

Today they told me that my sky shots were not acceptable and I must do shots in "real life situations" and upload them.

So here is my question: Is their rejection of my sky shots legitimate?

I will follow their instructions but I just want someone to tell me if they are jerking me around. It seems like it to me.

Thanks,

Don L Turner

TaoMannaDon's gear list:TaoMannaDon's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow